Published originally in lareira.net by Marta, on 25/12/2001
This recipe for scallops is traditional in Galicia. It can be made with tomato or without tomato, with paprika or without paprika, with ham or without ham. I do it as my mother taught me and how it was always done in my family. I hope you like it.
Scallops baked in Galician style
Amount Per Serving
Calories 605 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19g 29%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Cholesterol 156mg 52%
Sodium 1450mg 60%
Potassium 1757mg 50%
Total Carbohydrates 21g 7%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 76g 152%
Vitamin A 27%
Vitamin C 52%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Clean the scallops and reserve in their shells.
- Pour a teaspoon of cognac over them and leave them marinating while the sauce is being prepared.
- Brown the onion, grated or finely chopped, over low heat.
- Then add the peeled and crushed tomato, the salt (beware, because later we will add ham) and a pinch of sugar.
- Leave to cook until thick. Then, add the white wine and let reduce.
- Add the ham and sauté for a few seconds so that it is not too salty.
- Cover the scallops with the sauce and sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake 12-15 minutes at 190º-200ºC